Monday, October 03, 2005

The next Supreme Court Justice?

Well, this should be interesting, maybe. Roberts is now sworn in a Chief Justice, and the Prez wasted no time in nominating someone to fill the second spot, opened by Justice O'Connor's decision to step down. Well, read about the person who might succeed O'Connor here.

My first thought when I saw this was "Cronyism." The President nominates someone, from Texas, who has been working with him since I think 2001. She has no record as a judge, since she hasn't been one. All she has been is a lawyer, and then White House assistant... Apparently she was in charge of creating the list of choices for the President to choose from. How is his choice unbiased decision-making?

And the second thing I thought was that she would probably be a super religious conservative. Well, the good news is apparently she isn't. It sounds like she is a moderate. Well, moderate conservative...

Anyhow, what does everyone else think?

1 comment:

Adam said...

My first impression was largely the same as yours. Her lack of experience seems like a good reason to not approve. On the other hand, every other moderate candidate is pretty likely to get shot down by either the GOP or the democrats in congress. The fact that her opinions are largely not documented is a bit of a help instead of a hindrance. Still, I'm a bit uneasy. I think there are more qualified people out there. But hey, you guys are the lawyers; I'll let y'all argue it out.