Monday, April 28, 2008

Ponderings

Do you ever look at people you used to know and wonder about them and compare yourself to them?


Recently due to the magic of internet, I have been coming into contact with a lot of people I used to know, back in Wisconsin. And I see where we all were, back together in roughly the same place in Wisconsin, and I see where we all are now - an owner of his own company, a project manager of a national organization, actors in New York, a dentist, a world travelling manager of a dance company, a mother of 2 kids...


And I wonder about all of us. I see all of us in such difference places, and I wonder how we got where we are, and where we could have been had we done things differently, and all that stuff.

It's a bit sobering, to see how much some people have made of their lives in such a short time. I mean, I know we should all measure success differently, and we all have different goals and dreams and ideals. I know all that, but it still makes me wonder. Even though I know I shouldn't, I still in some ways compare where I am now with where they all are now.

This isn't a cry for pity or anything, it's just a random train of thought I wanted to share.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

I think we have all been there at some point. Life is funny that way.

I think we all sort of float on the river of life and some of us get snagged on branches now and again, or hit the bottom and rot for a bit, or get rushed out into the 'fast lane' or spend our lives in brooks and steams contentedly floating.

Life is a series of infinite choices and changing just one might have led us down an completely different path. I know what you mean, I think we have all wondered and compared and pondered.

Jerris said...

I've often done the same, and when I begin to feel like I haven't achieved as much as I should have by this point I remind myself of a few important things. My path is different from that of every other being that has ever lived, and I like to think I've done pretty well with it. In fact I think we all have. Hate to sound cliche, but life to me really is a journey and if the focus is always on the end point, you miss the vast majority of it. Sure we all went to college for the purpose of getting a degree, but we certainly had some great times along the way. I see all of life as being like that. This post wasn't designed to cheer up or motivate, its just a presentation of another view point.